Can I Claim Vehicle Road Tax Exemption If I Am Disabled?

Yes, as a disabled driver you may be able to claim a disability exemption when taxing your own car if you get one of the following government-funded Mobility Allowances:

  • The Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • The Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Child Disability Payment (Scotland)
  • The Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
  • The War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)

If you don’t qualify for a full exemption, you could still get a 50% reduction on the cost of your vehicle road tax if you get the Standard Rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or the new Adult Disability Payment (ADP) standard rate mobility component (in Scotland only).

To find out more about claiming the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) exemption or reduction, visit the GOV.UK website.